The Hilfiker Spiralnail consists of a 2” schedule 80, twisted square pipe and was initially designed as an alternate to conventional drill-and-grout soil nailing, but its uses are ever expanding. Because the Spiralnail is driven directly into the earth, it can be used in a wide array of situations that conventional soil nailing methods cannot:
- Soil reinforcement method for retaining walls, stabilizing steep slopes, roadway widening, guardrail support, roadway sub-drainage, or foundation improvement.
- To form a tieback for cast in place or pre-cast panels, or as effective soil drains.
- Compatible with other Hilfiker systems.
- Can be used with quick build welded wire flat mat facing, gabion facing, "Spider" slope face reinforcement, or pre-cast concrete facing.
- To repair or reinforce existing walls.
- For top-down construction applications.
- Quick and effective emergency repairs.
- To support temporary walls and for construction shoring where conventional soil nailing would not be time or cost effective.
The Wiretruss is a facing system specifically designed to be compatible with the Spiralnails and consists of wire mesh panels bent to form a truss-like configuration.